Diagnostic Services at Gettysburg Animal Hospital
We utilize advanced technology to help diagnose your pet’s medical issues, including:
- Digital radiology that allows us to view high quality images of your pet’s internal organs and systems. Digital x-rays are safer for your pet, and produce much better images to help us quickly formulate a treatment plan.
- In house laboratory staffed by skilled technicians providing complete blood analysis, testing for heartworms, Lyme disease, Feline Leukemia, and FIV.Our blood analyzer is state of the art! Fecal analysis for parasites using Zinc sulfate centrifugation technique. Urinalysis, including analysis for protein using SSA check, and analysis of sediment and bacteria check.
- ECG and blood pressure monitoring
- Ultrasound Services provided on-call
- Fungal cultures for possible ringworm
- Ocular pressure check
- In house cytology
ECG and blood pressure monitoring assess your pet’s condition in surgery, detect hypertension, helps us evaluate a pet in shock, and give us a baseline reading in comprehensive physical exams.
Ultrasound is a diagnostic imaging technique that allows us to look at the organs of the abdomen or chest such as the liver, kidneys, heart or spleen in 3-D. Veterinary ultrasound is a painless, non-invasive and safe tool allowing visualization of tissues not otherwise possible.. We utilize the services of a specialist to perform and interpret your pet’s ultrasound examination in our hospital. This allows for your convenience and ensures an accurate and immediate diagnosis for your pet. Ultrasound typically does not require sedation unless a biopsy is needed. If a biopsy is required, we are able to safely obtain tissue samples using the ultrasound as a guide.
Our in-house laboratory and radiology equipment allow us to quickly and thoroughly evaluate your pet’s health and provide immediate diagnostic care during a preventative wellness exam and when your pet becomes ill or has been injured. We also work with several outside laboratories should your pet require specialized testing.
Heartworm testing, complete blood counts, blood-chemistry panels, urinalysis and fecal examinations are some of the many laboratory tests that we perform at the hospital. Our laboratory can perform blood tests on your dog or cat for electrolyte evaluation, blood count analysis, liver and kidney function. Our state-of-the-art laboratory equipment means that your pet’s laboratory results are quickly available so that we can provide fast, comprehensive treatment for your pet.